|Exam Papers||Time Allotted||Number of questions||Maximum Score|
|Paper 1 – UPSC General Studies: You are required to clear this exam to appear for mains.||2 Hours||100||200|
|Paper II – UPSC Aptitude: Its mandatory to score at least 33% in this test to become eligible for the mains but the score of this particular test would not be counted in mains.||2 Hours||80||200|
UPSC Prelims Paper 1 – General Studies Syllabus
- 1. Current affairs – Global and National both.
- 2. History – Mainly everything about India including Indian National Movement.
- 3. Geography- On global and national parameters study these aspects- Economic Geography, Social, Physical of India and the world
- 4. Indian Polity/Governance –Public Policy, Panchayati Raj, Political system, Constitution, Rights issues.
- 5. Economic/Social development –demographics, poverty, sustainable development,social sector initiatives, inclusion etc.
- 6. General issues on environmental ecology, Climate change and Bio-diversity -that do not require subject specialization
- 7. Science (General)
Important Topics in UPSC Prelims Syllabus Paper One:
In UPSC Prelims Syllabus, Current Affairs subject cannot be explained with 100 % description; however, you can make a list of following topics to focus while reading newspaper and other preparation materials like Manorama Year Book.However, you should read without leaving topics from March 2017 to March 2018 for exam on June 2018.
Environment -like Summit, Schemes, and Notifications related Ghats etc. Indian Legal and Regulatory orders related Pollution, energy, biodiversity and food chain
Agriculture -Apart from topics as above check for Budget allocations and go through concept part from NCERT.
International -Apart from Summits also read news related to Institutions such as World Bank, WTO, IMF, UN etc., Funding and performance of International NGOs and International Environmental initiatives.
Economy -Go through budget making reforms- Reforms in rail, Bank Initiatives, Pay commission, Concepts like Calculation HDI and CENSUS etc. Concepts from Micro-economics.
History -Culture-Hindi Months Name, National symbols, Freedom Struggle etc.
Geography and Polity -Indian physical geography, World Geography with special focus on Asia & Africa. Read about Land and People, Minerals, States & UT, Universe related discoveries and disasters. In Indian Polity read about issues related rights, government bodies and union and state administration.
Science and Technology -Most unpredictable portion. Focus on Public Health, Disasters and New developments. Read editorials of National Level Newspaper like Hindu.
Sports -Keep eye on events where India has won or lost.
International Relations and Defence -Summits, Organizations, Space Missions, Launch of new missile, vessel or technology and Joint exercises.
Events -Major Events, Important book, Nation-International Awards.
Indian Society and Social Justice -Water Disputes, Women issues, Poverty issues and Schemes, Population issues, Communalism etc.
Whenever you read any newspaper, go through Editorial section. Prelims Syllabus should be written in your mind so that you can relate your reading with your Prelims Syllabus.
Union Public Service Commission always experiments with paper of UPSC Prelims but it will be always a good mix of current affairs and concept potion.
UPSC Prelims Paper 2- Aptitude Syllabus
- Comprehension and Analysis
- Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Highschool/10th Level. (passages from English language will be there only/No Hindi translation is given.)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class 1oth or Highschool level)
- Basic numeracy (orders of magnitude, numbers and their relations, etc.) (Class 10th level), Data Interpretation (data sufficiency, graphs, charts, tables etc. – Class 10th level)
- Mental ability test (General)
- Interpersonal/Communication skills
- Logical reasoning
- Analytical ability
- Interpersonal/Communication skills